HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Sun, 16 Apr 2006 21:14:22 -0400
From:
Joe Roberts <[log in to unmask]>
Thanks for your comments, Andrew.

Incidentally, I lived in Texas for 13 of the past 14 years,a fact which might have influenced my position on property owner rights.

I know and appreciate David Calame and many hard-working volunteer THC stewards. My gratitude goes out to these folks for a job well done.

Texas is, of course, a whole 'nother country, but I think of the Texas steward progam as a model for good solid outreach...I'd like to see more of that everywhere, including more in Texas! People appreciate it when archaeologists make the effort to interact and communicate with the public.

Working with the people, including artifact collectors, relic hunters, AND property owners, is part of the sacred trust of archaeology in my opinion. We are all stewards. Education is at least part of the answer and definitely part of our jobs.

Give my regards,
Joe Roberts
PhD Student
W&M Anthropology
(& former Austinite)

Andrew Hall wrote:

>The Texas Historical Commission's volunteer Archaeological Stewards
>Program has as one of its key activitiies the cataloging of private
>collections.

-snip-

In a state where property rights trump virtually everything