HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Mon, 21 Nov 2005 08:12:39 -0500
From:
Meli Diamanti <[log in to unmask]>
7bit
As others have already noted, aerial photos are useless in wooded
terrain, which is a lot of what we face here in the northeastern US.
Detailed topographic maps give you enough information to predict the
most likely locations for historic (and prehistoric sites) if you can
analyze the settlement patterns from already known sites.  For historic
sites, there is also a lot of use of the detailed historic atlases of
the late nineteenth century.  they didn't have topo lines, but streams
and roads usually provide enough information to tie in with the current
geography.
And in urban areas, of course, there are the wonderful Sanborn fire
insurance maps, so detailed that they show sheds and outhouses, as well
as the actually footprint of buildings.
The one time that I found aeiral photos useful was in looking at a
farmstead that was included in a WPA aerial survey.  It gave me a chance
to see what this rural site had developed into in the first half fo the
20th century, but I was frustrated that it didn't have finer pixel
resolution.
Meli Diamanti
Archaeological & Historical Consultants, Inc.