HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Tue, 20 Sep 2005 00:19:50 -0400
From:
David Babson <[log in to unmask]>
In 1982, I worked on the Providence Cove Lands Project, in Providence,
Rhode Island, part of the Northeast Corridor Project.  Not where you'd
expect to see archaeological evidence of a hurricane (though the 1938
Hurricane hit them pretty hard), but that's what we had--two serious
storms, around 1815 and 1819 (second decade of the 19th century; I
probably have the exact years wrong), one or both of which that left
more than two meters of sand at the head of Providence cove (hence Cove
Lands), which was, before Roger Williams, the estuary between the
Providence River and Narragansett Bay.  A major mid-19th century
railroad station and terminal complex, plus workers' housing, were on
top of the sand layer.  Below the sand layer, we found the stone
foundation of a barn, and the preserved wooden floor of a small,
two-room house or cabin, visible in the sand as decayed wood, really, a
darker sand than that surrounding the structure.  Nails marked the
location of floor joists, a disrupted chimney foundation was along one
wall, a brownstone doorstep, and a plaster line showing one internal
wall.  The yard beside the barn foundation contained at least one horse
skeleton--one of our final units uncovered its forequarters, still
articulated, and wearing iron shoes, if my memory serves.  We ran out of
time, and did no more than uncovering and recording of the house
foundation--took more than a week to map.  We did not get into the area
around the house, but it haunts me still, especially after reading about
New Orleans.  If at least one horse was there...

Anyway, the farm is preserved in place, under thick fill, under the
Providence Amtrak station, third major railroad station in the area
since the 1840s.  Rest in peace.

D. Babson.