HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Mon, 22 Aug 2005 14:46:31 -0400
From:
George Myers <[log in to unmask]>
inline
This is a second try something, went somewhere.

At the West Point Foundry, (in the fifth season of excavation by
Michigan Technological University according to the Society of
Industrial Archeology, that site in a "sea of brick" [Edward Rutsch et
al] from a 24 hour chlorine fire fought by 700 [clippings in the West
Point Foundry School Museum] last largely used by the Chicago Bridge
and Steel Co., until a fire in 1913 twisted the 800' long Bridge Shop
into ruins. alongside the rail yard on foundry fill) on the east side
of the Hudson River in Cold Spring, NY (toponym supplied by George
Washington) was an EPA sponsored remediation in Foundry Cove, part of
the surrounding environs of Constitution Island, which had
fortifications designed by forgotten patriot of Dutch heritage,
Bernard Romans, predating the Military Academy, ca. 1803.

Grossman and Associates worked on a number of Superfund sites for the
EPA from about 1989-1994 while I was employed there. The West Point
Foundry under private control patented the large rifled cannon (more
like a rifled musket) that was used to win the Civil War. The company
recovered, after cartographic research and a magnetometer survey the
remains of perhaps of the prototype of the "Swamp Angel"
(http://www.scencyclopedia.com/swamp_angel.htm) in the Foundry marsh
from a photo of a map in the museum. There is some story of "Swamp
Angel" inspiring the only known shooting on White House grounds, about
a man and a woman, according to a Westchester Historical Society
correspondence.

Another part of the site had stereo-pairs photos from about the time
the Foundry was for sale (with main offices in NYC) taken from various
distances. One was enigmatically showing perhaps four foundry houses
though it was thought at first to show only two. The other two, though
the heat, haze, some smoke, and some funny developer, were perhaps of
the "Virginia" foundation style shown in Glassey's work of Virginia
house patterns, a double wing with a central "square"  of stone
construction, perhaps showing some of the earlier designers there.
After the "jungle" was cleared off the hillside, where the hundreds of
trucks would be brought down from the high road to construct a dike or
dam in the cove to dewater the muds to be combined with concrete and
hauled out on the previous rail bed reutilized, as it was arrived at
from study, instead of through the town of Cold Spring, the
foundations were photogrammetrically recorded with a Rolleimetric
system in development with the Canadian firm Prometric Technologies of
Markham. Ontario who provided the training, advice  and expertise we
used to record some plans, profiles, and surfaces for 3D
reconstruction on  Intel 40386/387 computers (earlier cpu and math
unit).

I am not familiar with the other design of projecting photos onto the
landscape. Many of the plans and profiles I reconstructed didn't end
up in the reports since the photos are usually stunning when so well
lit. The stereo-pair photos (of which there are others, i.e., "the
dynamite gun" made out of pipe sections, when the foundry made many
iron building "floor-to-ceiling" supports is documented and an
"inventor" of a similar system in Vermont was assassinated in
Amsterdam while we were in the field, later Iraq was accused of having
similar designs, and other late 19th century arms are seen, perhaps
developed there, where R.P Parrott patented a rifled cannon with an
outside band of metal, which was used to win the American Civil War.
Though the larger examples are often discussed, its the smaller mobile
20 pounders which were probably most effective.

If the stereo-pairs of the West Point Foundry in Cold Spring, NY had
not existed I doubt as much archaeologically would have been excavated
under the greenhouses in the marsh and on the hill next to town and
the schoolhouse museum.

I did sign a 10 year silent partner agreement and I don't think any of
this discusses the actual remediation designed by Malcolm Pirnie, Inc.
so I didn't think permission was needed. But as they say the lawyer
that has himself as a client, which I'm not...

George Myers