HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Fri, 19 Aug 2005 15:05:21 -0400
From:
George Myers <[log in to unmask]>
inline
Just a point I read that the problem of Ellis Island transcriptions of
family names was that the "boarding lists" were used, that is what was
recorded when the passengers got onto the ship (a boat with decks) and
errors were often not the fault of those on Ellis Island. I am not too
sure how true that is. It was odd to find out (maybe a myth) that
Franz Boaz, complete with fencing scar across his face from school
days in Heidelberg, Germany, was doing "craniometric" measurements
there under contract with the Government to determine the "wholesome"
effect of dairy consumption on the human physiology, at least as I was
aurally informed. Lo and behold, weez gettin' bigger.

George Myers