HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Mon, 15 Mar 2004 17:40:54 +0000
From:
paul courtney <[log in to unmask]>
I trust archaeological data a LOT more than many classes of
> historical data. SMOKE that is probably because you are dealing with the
archaeological data yourself and are more expert in it. I can think of
endless cases of misinterpreted arcaheological data, - one of the commonest
is not allowing for destruction of evidence or people inventing kilns from 1
sherd of distorted pot. The commonest misuse of historical data is probably
not to read and understand documents in their entirity but to pull sentences
out of context. I can think of a few archaeologists who have misread
documents. One amateur archaeologist wrote an entire  book chapter based on
a misreading of  street name and a famous British archaeologist's misreading
of a medieval latin document had me searching for days for a windmill
rebuilt with elm trees- in fact its sails had beene repaired with so many
ells of cloth. Of course professional historians get it wrong also- thank
goodness or it all have been said a hundred years ago. I won't bore you with
a long list of archaeological excvations whose interpretation would be
radically different had I not had inspired thoughts based on the documentary
evidence. However, in my experience of several decades working on both
arcahaeology and documents- the score is even on misinterpretation.

paul courtney
historical archaeologist and/or archaeological historian
Leicester UK