ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Joe Ruggiero <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 29 Aug 2005 09:47:06 -0700

Jay,

Many museums have this kind of exhibit in various forms. I believe the
Pacific Science Center had one with their traveling Science Carnival and
they also had one with rotating tubes in which pool balls dropped
through fluids of various viscosities.

I have built this kind of thing using mineral oil, which is probably the
cheapest thing you could find to use in this exhibit. Glycerin seems to
be another possibility. But the most often used product seems to be
silicone oil. It's not cheap, about $50+ a gallon depending somewhat on
viscosity and quantity you buy.  If you need several viscosities you can
buy a quantity of a low viscosity (say about 20cSt) and a high viscosity
(say about 30,000) and mix them together to arrive at intermediate
viscosities depending on proportions. Silicone oils seems to have very
good long term stability and will not support organic growth. Also,
according to its MSDS it is relatively safe. If it spills its biggest
hazard seems to be that it is slippery.

You can check with ClearCo Products
(http://www.clearcoproducts.com/standard_pure_silicones.html) if you are
interested in checking out silicone oil. It's a family run company - it
may not be the cheapest, but you'll talk to one of the owners if you call.

Joe Ruggiero
www.theexhibitguys.com