ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Katherine Ziff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Apr 2006 16:20:27 -0400

Even when "play" is defined most broadly it doesn't capture the
persistence and dedication it takes to be a scientist. For one project I
got to go on a night cruise of a research vessel on San Francisco Bay. I
had a blast, and told the grad students on board that I was jealous of
their opportunities. They let me know very clearly that the next step of
their study--counting and identifying all every single organism caught
in our nets--was tedious. Boring. Pretty much the opposite of a playful
exploration.

That's why I like "A way of looking at the world in which everything has
to be proved" and the idea that "we do science every time we have even a
modest plan to try it and see what happens." Science and play overlap,
but they're not synonymous.

Katherine Ziff
Exhibit Developer
Great Lakes Science Center