ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Jane Snell Copes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Apr 2006 09:35:24 -0500

A book I hold close to my heart is titled "Let's Try It . . . and See
What Happens!"  That phrase comes out of my mouth almost every time a
visitor or student asks a question that we can investigate.  I'm
close to saying that we do science every time we have even a modest
plan to try it and see what happens.

Are these seeds still viable?  Planted them, nothing came up, guess not.
Is ALL of this stuff in my woods buckthorn?  Leaves look like it,
color under the bark looks like it, roots look like it; drat.
Does it matter how much water I put in my Alka-Seltzer rocket?
What happens if I cut the sugar in this recipe in half?
Will pepper/garlic spray keep squirrels away from my bird feeder?
Not very well.

Looks like I'm a bit drunk on spring right now, it being so fleeting
in Minnesota.

So what's an invention?  I think it's something that's new to me,
whether anyone else has ever thought of it before or not.   Best of
the hardwood pollen to you all, Jane
--
Jane Snell Copes
Science Outside the Box

Are you wondering why?  Check out
http://www.kare11.com/life/community/wonderwhy/  Scroll to the bottom
of the page to find lots of activities for kids and parents to do
this spring.  Books, hands-on activities, exhibits, and community
resources all feature the WEATHER.

"Nothing is too wonderful to be true."   Michael Faraday