ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Christine Castle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Apr 2006 13:13:25 -0400

April 7, 2006
Organization of education staff and volunteers in science centers

Hello,
I am writing a piece on education staff and volunteers in science
centers and am interested in (1)the place of education within your
institution's organizational chart and (2) how the education department
(or the department by whatever name that oversees education) is
structured. Either a copy of your organizational chart or a simple list
would be most appreciated. If the information is available online,
please just send the URL.

I am familiar with the material on planning for museum human resources
(staff and volunteers) overall and have searched the isen-astc-l
archives. I did find a couple of examples but the info I am looking for
is pretty specific. See below for more information.

Thank you for any help you may be able to offer! I will be happy to
share a brief summary of my findings with the list.

Cheers,
Chris

M. Christine Castle, Ph.D.
Consultant and Educator
Hamilton, Ontario, Canada L8P2X6
905-521-4847

For example, in a smaller institution, your organizational chart might
look like this:
FULL TIME EMPLOYEES:
Executive Director
Development Director
Education Director
Museum Educator
Director of Operations (vacant)

PART TIME EMPLOYEES:
Operation Manager
Floor Manager
Contract Teachers*

In a larger institution, there might be
(1) an overall org chart:
Corporate Services
Collection Services
Conservation
(and so on)
Community Services (encompasses museum education)
(and so on)
Human Resources

(2)Org charts for each department
Community Services
- Manager
- Supervisor, Guest Services
- Supervisor, Rentals & Events
- Asst. Manager, Educational Programming
- Public Programs Coordinator
- School Programs Coordinator
- Contract teachers

Human Resources