ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Matthew White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Mar 2006 08:49:35 -0500

This thread has prompted a number of responses from me. Basically I
think it is a mistake to think of Podcasts and related technology as
discrete stand alone media that will soon go the way of the 8-Track.
Instead think of it as the first (actually the 3rd or 4th) step in
the evolution of personalized media delivery. Look at what many
Universities are doing with iPods already in terms of educational
media delivery (I thought I had a URL ready to go for a news article
link, but can't find it. Google it for yourself.) Sure in five years
the  term iPod could become obsolete or gericized out of
meaningfulness, but the technology will evolve into something more
elaborate and more useful that museums and science centers ignore at
their peril. And yes, Apple is the largest delivery mode now, but
they aren't the only ones and I can't see them holding this dominance
for more than ten years anymore than Sony held onto their dominance
with the Walkman.

As far as specific points:

1. I agree that not everything we do need be interactive for the
reasons Eric mentions. Many science centers know this. Many science
centers and museums sponsor lectures, TV shows and books. Not
everyone wants inquiry based learning all the time. Does anyone? But
that doesn't mean they can't be interactive SOME DAY. Think of the
many interactive educational activities you have on your web site. I
don't think it will be too long before you can down embed them into a
Podcast and download into an iPod or similar device,maybe even one
with a screen large enough for a whole classroom to see.

2. Not everything labeled "podcast" is only for iPods and therefore
meets the earbud, lone enjoyment paradigm Eric describes. I have
heard of no studies that track how people enjoy Pocasts and similar
media, but anecdotally I know many people who enjoy iPod videos on
their computers and TVs. As soon as last night's episode of "Lost" is
posted I will download it and watch it and I don't even have a video
iPod. I'll also likely watch it with my girlfriend on a computer. I
also know of people, like my colleagues at work, who will gather
around a computer and enjoy iPod based media a as a group. iTunes,
the dominate computer software in this field, already has rudimentary
features that encourage sharing of media (legally). Although iPods
are enjoyed by-and-large in a solitary manner,  this technology does
have potential for more social dimensions. Again, think of a
classroom with a TV sized "iPod" that "subscribes" to a "podcast" of
a science demonstration. No video distributor, no commercials, no
buying media that needs storage. All we would have to do is post it
on a website.  And there is no reason it can't be interactive or
inquiry based in some fashion.

Oops! I gotta get to work.

Great topic!

Matt