ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Jonah Cohen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Mar 2006 13:37:22 -0500

Our center has a wildlife sanctuary, with close to 100 species. Almost all
are rescued former pets (ranging from those confiscated for being illegal to
those given up by their owners to some that were just turned loose). A few
years back, someone left a pet carrier on our doorstep with an 8 month old
bobcat in it.

Some of the animals are injured wild animals that can't be returned to their
native habitat - including 3 owls (great horned, barred and screech). The
former two are imprinted on people to some extent, and are handle-ble, the
screech much less so. None of them can fly well enough to survive in the
wild (wing and eye problems, mostly).

The owls are all very striking and visitors are generally fascinated by
them. There are frequent questions about how we got them, do they get to go
outside (yes) can they go back to the wild etc. We have a staff of animal
curators who care for all our critters.

A few years back we had 2 blue and gold macaws, but we turned them over to a
private group that cares for parrots that are former pets. I wouldn't
recommend them as exhibit animals.

BTW, hopefully within a few weeks, our website
(http://www.sciencecenterct.org) will once again have a webcam up on the
nest of two peregrine falcons who nest in Hartford. Last year they fledged 4
chicks!

Jonah Cohen
Outreach & Public Programs Manager
Science Center of Connecticut