ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

David Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 31 Aug 2005 15:29:43 -0400

The ideal would be to try to develop understanding of both the natural
cycles of the earth with regard to many variables including climate and
the astronomical and other drivers of that variability and also to
develop understanding of the additional anthropogenic effects in both
the historical and fossil record.  In order to do that, one needs to pay
special attention to issues of proportion and rate-of-change, which are
concepts than often are laden with misconceptions (see Arnold Arons
summary in Ch1 of Introductory Physics Teaching).

Randy Richardson at U of Arizona has a wonderful classroom activity on
rising CO2 and data interpretation in which he has students randomly
sample the Mauna Loa data on CO2 and create a graph with just a handful
(literally, they graph ~6-10 paper slips from a bag, each with one
year's data) of points.  The different graphs yield a variety of slopes
(sometimes even some negative ones) and it's not until you superimpose
them all that you see the rising oscillatory pattern that is now famous.
He has the students graph on pre-printed transparencies and just stacks
them up on the overhead.  It would seem that this could easily be made
into a computer-based interactive.

Dave Smith
Director of Professional Development
Da Vinci Discovery Center