ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
martin weiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Aug 2005 17:26:21 -0400

Eric;
	 I am not certain why it is important to "describe an
objective hierarchy between ignorant and enlightened, between ID
believers and evolution believers"? It is not an issue of being
ignorant or enlightened. The struggle is for political power and
pushing an agenda that is believed to be anti-atheistic
(anti-evolution; anti-Darwin; anti-intellectual; anti-elitist).  This
is not about evolution for I don't know any groups that are against
teaching atomic theory or relativity and gravitational theory as they
are against evolution theory.

	Clearly from surveys, there are folks who have limited
understanding of the mechanisms and the importance of evolution.
However, there maybe lots who value quality science education for
their children. I suspect if polls were but put in this way (below)
we might get at this issue.

Question:

Should students be exposed to the best education possible, or should
they be indoctrinated into religious concepts, like Intelligent
Design creationism? Give us your opinion.
	*
	Yes, the theory of evolution is one example of a robust
scientific theory which should be taught in public schools.
	*
	No, students should be taught sectarian religious concepts in
public schools, at the expense of actual science.

Martin

--
Martin Weiss, Ph.D
Vice President, Science