From:
Chris Parles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Jul 2004 13:50:32 -0400
Richard Pennycuick wrote:

>Then after I'd given up hope, Sony issued the Szell versions
>in their Heritage series.  The transfers are fine - the only disadvantage
>is one of those horrible sleeves from which the CD can't be removed
>without touching the playing surface.  Before commending these to Robert
>Stumpf, I checked to make sure that some beancounter zealot at Sony
>hadn't deleted them.

Actually, they have been re-released in a traditional jewel box (one
of those that looks like a single CD box but actually holds two) in
traditional CD format, along with the Manfred Overture.  This set, along
with the Berstein (VPO/DG) and the Sawallisch, constitute my favorites.
I recently acquired the Barenboim set, and, while first impressions are
very good, I am waiting to see whether the set continues to satisfy me.
As it is, your best bet is with any of the three sets mentioned above,
though some may disagree with me about Bernstein.  I find that, despite
the liberties taken, the set is just so alive that I am continually drawn
to it.  Sawallisch is, definitely of high quality and very traditional.
So, basically, if you like any of those three conductors specifically,
pick that set, and if not I would recommend Szell.

Chris Parles