ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Tue, 23 Aug 2005 14:25:42 -0700
8bit
From:
"Glenn A. Walsh" <[log in to unmask]>

Pittsburgh's original Buhl Planetarium and Institute
of Popular Science [a.k.a. Buhl Science Center] was
one of the first museums to set-up a "Computer
Learning Lab," with 24 LAN computers, in June of 1983.
At that time Apple IIe computers were used.

This Computer Lab was used for both classes and
general use by the public when the museum was open.
Most types of computer classes work in this type of
setting. Buhl's Computer Lab had classes for many
different types of computer instruction.

The "CLL" operated through the closing of the Buhl
Planetarium as a public museum in August of 1991.
After that date, the Computer Lab continued to be
used, strictly for computer classes sponsored by The
Carnegie Science Center.

Originally, the new Science Center building, which is
a mile away, was not built with a Computer Lab. The
original Buhl Planetarium building continued to be
used for Science Center science and computer classes
until the Buhl Planetarium building was shuttered and
abandoned in February of 1994.

Today, computer labs can be found at many different
types of facilities. In Pittsburgh, computer labs
exist not only at The Carnegie Science Center, but
also at two branches [one being the Main Branch] of
The Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh.

gaw

--- Elton K Prater <[log in to unmask]>