ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Tue, 23 Aug 2005 12:01:11 -0400
From:
Marc Taylor <[log in to unmask]>
Comments:
To: Mario Martínez <[log in to unmask]>

NASA provides some materials free of charge, but I'm not sure how this works outside the United States. Of course, there are plenty of images online, but tracking down the very highest-res images, or images of decent quality, can be tricky.

The Hubble Space Telescope managing body, the Space Telescope Sciene Institute, has high-res images in its website for the news media.
http://hubblesite.org/newscenter/newsdesk/archive/releases/
Look under one of the categories and look for images. Just keep clicking.

Some of the images are extremely large, for example:
http://hubblesite.org/newscenter/newsdesk/archive/releases/2003/28/image/a+warn
is a 211 MB image of the Sombrero Galaxy. We have a 1.5m x 2m transparency of this in a gallery, and it's stunning.

The NASA Planetary Photojournal also has images, but sometimes it's easier to go through the relevant mission website to find the best ones. For example:
http://photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov/catalog/PIA06193
is reached through the Cassini website from:
http://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/multimedia/images/images.cfm?startImage=33&categoryID=1&subCategoryID=0

Mission websites are also usually good places to go to get images of spacecraft. Just look for the "media" or "press room" part of the website, and look for "broadcast quality" video or "images suitable for publication."

If there are specific images you're looking for, let me know.

Marc Taylor
Coordinator, Andrus Planetarium
Hudson River Museum
511 Warburton Avenue