Condense Mail Headers

From:
Isis Glass <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Oct 2005 08:52:34 -0500
Comments:
To: Dee Lusby <[log in to unmask]>
Quote:
DNA research has come forward a great deal in that time
frame also, and we now know that DNA changes eversoslightly
with each mating. So I would have to say that since I
firmly believe that Environment (which includes cell
size)is a catalist that then changes both diet and
breeding, then our hives' genetics have changed just by us
changing cell size.

Reply:
Here is an example of how a little knowledge is a dangerous thing. The above
statement uses scientific terms without understanding the ideas that are
*supposed* to go with them. The author may "believe" that changes in diet
and cell size will alter the bees' DNA -- but that hardly makes it true.

Some examples: Does our author believe that if plasic surgery Michael
Jackson succeeds in making him look like Liz Taylor, then his children will
look like Liz Taylor, too? How about dogs: suppose you want a short haired
Collie. Will giving the parents a short haircut produce short-haired
offspring? Maybe you have to shave successive generations ...

On the other hand, it has been shown that some species respond readily to
selection. These species are called: "variable". Examples are dogs, of
course, and chickens, pigeons, etc. Even humans are highly variable. But
there has to be controlled mating and there has to be variability in the
trait. You can raise dogs that are large, small, etc. but not dogs with
hands like monkeys.

If I wanted to raise small bees, I would either: 1) use regular sized comb
and measure the bees to find which ones are genetically smaller. If you use
smaller cells, you will create an environmental effect that would mask any
real genetic variation. Or 2) use bees that are already small: African Bees.
I suspect this is what they have down there in Arizona.

I am sorry to bring this up again, but people should think about the
implications of a statement like "Environment  changes breeding". It is not
only unscientific, -- it's anti-scientific. Which is fine, be anti-science.
But then you cannot turn around refer to changes in the  "DNA" .

Isis Glass