ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Daniels, Alissa" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Mar 2007 10:10:36 -0400

I could really use some help on this one:

We're installing a new demo/activity counter in a pretty high-visibility spot. Unfortunately, we are still getting our new staffing pattern together (we've been closed for construction) and it will not be staffed at all times, but we can't just have an empty table.So....what are your favorite  do-it-yourself activities that don't need staff supervision. Of course the concerns are safety and making sure the materials don't walk away, and that the activity is easy enough to figure out.

Also...
you're probably familiar with the "Farmer's Puzzle" (the dog, the chicken and the seed that have to get across a river?) It's a big hit with older kids, but when that activity is out, there's not a whole lot for little (preschool) kids to do. Do you have any favorite puzzles or brain-teasers for the younger set?

Any suggestions much appreciated. many many thanks,
from beautiful sunny Boston,
AD
Alissa Daniels, Science Program Manager
Boston Children's Museum
617-426-6500 x342
www.BostonChildrensMuseum.org
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not "Eureka!" (I found it!) but "That's funny..."   --Isaac Asimov