ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Sara DeAngelis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Aug 2005 11:48:29 -0400

Wayne,

While I'm a firm believer in using this type of economic pressure approach
certain issues (e.g. Divestment from companies doing business in S. Africa)
The real question to me is where do we draw the line.  There are certainly a
lot of countries right now which are ripe for this type of pressure by our
museums and professional associations.

While I don't agree with the ideas promoted by the planners of the museum,
they aren't physically harming anyone, just touting their particular
(repressive) belief system. I for one wouldn't be comfortable with
approaching design firms and fabricators in the way you suggest. If firms
are mistreating or taking advantage of their employees (e.g. Nike) then that
is a different matter.

What you seem to be suggesting is that individuals or firms who've worked
with these groups who are philosophically out of step with our own belief
system should be considered suspect and therefore divested from our
consideration. Question: Would you refuse to purchase books from a store or
publishing house that carried ideologies that were in direct conflict with
your own belief system?  Again, where do we draw the line.

Sara

Sara DeAngelis
Project Manager/Lead Exhibit Developer
Brooklyn Children¹s Museum
145 Brooklyn Ave.
Brooklyn, NY 11213

p. 718 735-4400 x149
c. 718 578-8269
e. [log in to unmask]

One touch of nature makes the whole world kin.
‹ Wm. Shakespeare

Keep your love of nature, for that is the true way to understand art and
more.
‹ Vincent Van Gogh