From:
Scott Morrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Jun 2004 21:08:12 -0500
Dave Lampson, re Liszt/Schubert transcriptions:

>I personally like most of Howard's performances, and at least for now
>he has only a little competition in most of these works.

I actually left a Howard recital in disgust after a first half in which
two of the transcriptions figured.  His playing was stultifying.  I
decided I could do without the b minor sonata.

Btw, I have been bowled over by the recording by the young Chinese
pianist, Yundi Li, of the b minor sonata. He rose to the top echelon of
b minors, in my opinion, or very nearly so, and that's a pretty crowded
field with every Liszt player of any note recording it for over fifty
years now.  The (not very) short list of wonderful recordings includes,
in alphabetical order, Argerich, Arrau, Bolet, Brendel, Fleisher, Kempff,
Nojima, Pollini, Richter, Serkin, probably among others.  Yundi Li joins
them.

Li's recording is on DG.

   http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00008GQTQ/classicalnetA/

Scott Morrison