From:
Robert Peters <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 May 2004 14:24:05 +0200
Kevin Sutton wrote in response to Jane Erb:

>>But then, is it any worse than the conversation, audience seating, etc.,
>>which too often occurs between movements?  The Aspen Music Festival no
>>longer seats late-comers between movements -- only between different
>>works.
>
>It's no worse, but it should not be tolerated.  I am afraid that I
>simply cannot subscribe to the lowest-common-denominator-let's-not-
>offend-any-paying-patron approach to serious music.  After all, it
>is serious music, not popular, and a certain standard of decorum and
>etiquette should be observed.

Sorry if you feel attacked now but I really cannot stand this approach
towards classical music.  It makes us classical music lovers look like
the old-fashioned and stiff mummies the prejudice sees in us.  Goodness,
classical music is so manifold, some of it is deadly serious (I would
loathe anyone applauding directly after the Lacrimosa of Mozart's Requiem)
but some is sheer fun (why not have a good time while listening to the
Jupiter symphony and applauding after each movement).  Anyway, this
somewhat clerical approach towards classical music (the concert hall as
a kind of temple, music as a kind of religion and the audience as humble
and silent worshippers) is historical and thus relative: as we know from
historical accounts former times were less strict and pedantic about
rules for the audience and maybe they had a lot more fun.

Have a Schubert day,
Robert