ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
George Wurtak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Jan 2005 22:00:45 -0600
Several local museums here offer a couple of variations on this.  Some offer a "Twoonie Day" - which is slang for our two-dollar coin. Others offer free days, with donation boxes placed in obvious locations. On occasion, a corporation or labour group or government department will offset the losses in admission revenue so that the museum can be offered free to the public.

Some years ago, the Tyrrell Museum of Paleontology was "free" but had a fairly strongly worded statement on the big donation box that people were funnelled right beside upon entry.  It has since changed the approach and now has significant admission fees.

George Wurtak