ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Stephen Uzzo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Apr 2004 10:12:53 -0400

I'd like to put forth a perhaps outlandish idea for discussion.

First of all, maybe I'm missing something in this arguement, but last
time I looked, absurd notions of "intelligent design" were patently
rejected by the scientific community. I suspect that we need public
schools to teach science, not mythology. If they're teaching
creationism, they are teaching mythology. n'est pas?

Conversely, Creationists have every right to object to the absence of
religion in schools. they are correct that science has created a void in
the belief system of some people, which perhaps science should help (or
at least provide direction) to fill. But their motives and goals are
misguided. The detractors of the science of evolution are not focusing
on what is really needed in public schools in terms of religion, which
is to include a strand on world religions in the social studies
curriculum. Since mainstream religions have such a tremendous influence
on world politics, war, and social justice issues it is utterly
irresponsible that kids graduate from high school and have no idea the
differences and similarities between Islam and Christianity, never mind
Presbyterianism and Catholicism. Religion is barely mentioned in the
social studies standards. This is a huge disservice to our youth and
feeds the machinery of intolerance, violence, and war.

So here's my evil plot: to fill the "gap" (give equal time, or whatever
they want to call it) between creationism and evolution, perhaps a
coalition of science orgainzations and social studies organizations
should put together an initiative to include a thoughtful and balanced
strand on world religions (this means all religions their history and
political and social contexts) which can be integrated into public
school curricula. Then, separatetly, a genuinely scientific and up to
date (beyond Darwin, include punctual equilibrium, etc.) approach to
teaching evolution. I bet there is grant money out there for developing
something like this.

Along with this, all self-respecting science organizations (ASTC,
included) should make a consistent, strong, united stand on the issue,
so no one is unsure where these organizations stand. By soft-pedaling or
avoiding the issue we are tacitly compliant with the purveyors of
Creationism. Perhaps we should all have an official statement on hand in
case anyone working in a science center or association, or attending one
is unsure. Am I a heretic?

To all those who think this is off-topic, I respond well to slings and
arrows!

--
Stephen Miles Uzzo
New York Hall of Science

"freedom and life are earned by those alone who conquer them each day anew."
                                          - Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe