ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Joan Harless <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Nov 2006 14:10:13 -0500

Hi Vickie,
Your program sounds similar to our Girls Explore Engineering program - lot's of professionals for the girls tp interact with, hands-on activities related to various fields of engineering. We work only with middle school girls, though. We had 200 last year, and 187 this year. This year one group designed the infrastructure for a city with the city engineers, others designed airplanes, etc.  It's really amazing how many engineers wanted to be a part of the effort - always a good thing!

Thanks for telling me about your program!

Joan

Hi,

While we don't have any program specifically designed to attract girls
to the engineering fields, we do hold two annual Women In Science days.
These programs bring approx. 120 girls - one middle school group and one
high school group - to the Aquarium or another marine science site.
(Northeastern University has a Marine Science Center we have used). The
girls meet with various marine scientists during the day, do some hands
on activities (squid dissections, touch tank exploration, etc.), and
generally learn that not all scientists wear white lab coats and work
with beakers.  They meet with divers, marine biologists, veterinarians,
researchers, conservationists at various stations throughout the
Aquarium.  We usually have a guest speaker, lunch, a "discovery"
activity and free exploration time in the Aquarium.  The day runs from
8:00 AM - about 3:00 PM.

We tap into our extensive teacher listserve to recruit teachers/schools
who are interested in attending.  I give preference to those schools who
have not previously attended, and try to ensure a mix of urban and
suburban classes.

The girls really enjoy the day, and many times have expressed an
interest in pursuing careers in math & science after attending. It's a
fun day.

Good luck.

Vickie Cataldo
Lowell Programs Coordinator