ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Beryl Rosenthal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Sep 2006 09:52:50 -0400

Jeff,
I would be very interested in a session.  Though far from being an
expert, I have had several "interesting" experiences (no, I'm not a
walking disaster!)   For example, I once supervised a science
theater.  You know the kind, big demos that involve fairly flashy
stuff.  We always, ALWAYS made it clear that these activities should
NOT be attempted at home for safety reasons.  There was always some
kid who would do it anyway, and then we'd get the call from the
parents.  We had to start posting warning signs, making opening
warning speeches, and came close to not doing the demos at all.  (NB
- where were the parents when their kids were doing all this???)  Not
good.
Beryl

--
Beryl Rosenthal, Ph.D.
Director of Exhibitions and Public Programs