ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Beryl Rosenthal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Mar 2006 09:03:47 -0500

Martin,
We offer two kinds of visits, booked classes, and self-guided visits.
See http://web.mit.edu/museum/programs/school_visit_planning.html for
the generalities.   Booked classes are obviously limited by program
and what you can do with a single class, while self-guided visits are
a bit more fluid.   We have had some schools request bringing 100
students at a time, which we handle by breaking them into groups and
rotating them through our offsite galleries.  We don't turn people
away, our feeling is, the visitor is why we are here (although as a
small place, it means we have to hustle to deal!).  On the rare
occasion that a group fails to make a reservation prior to a visit,
we let them know that we are more than happy to accommodate them, but
request that next time they call.  We have found that some schools
have the students wear a school T-shirt for easy identification.
Beryl

--
Beryl Rosenthal, Ph.D.
Director of Exhibitions and Public Programs