ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Michelle Nichols <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Mar 2006 15:25:20 -0600

<[log in to unmask]> writes:
>	Do you have rules of behavior for teachers when they bring
>students on field trips to your science center, eg numbers of
>children each chaperone is personally responsible for, must they wear
>identification as a chaperone/teacher, are they responsible for their
>children at all times during the visit etc. etc?
>	How do you enforce the rules you've instituted?
>	How do you inform the teachers that actually bring the
>children (as opposed to the teacher who makes the reservation?  Is
>there anything else you do that you think we'd be interested in
>knowing about?
>
>Is this printed and can you send me a copy?

Hello, Martin!

We require that each group has at least one chaperone per 10 students, but
we encourage them to have up to 1 adult per 4 students.  Illinois schools
with advance reservations get free admission to the museum (planetarium
shows are extra), and the one adult per 4 student ratio still qualifies
for the free admission.  Any additional chaperones over the 1:4 ratio has
to pay $7 per adult for admission and $7 one sky show, if they are
scheduled to see one ($6 per show after the first one if they are
scheduled to see more than one).

Each adult chaperone, upon entering the museum, is given a colored plastic
tab with the Adler's logo on it to wear so that it is visible to Adler
staff (the color changes each day).  That's so we don't have to ask adults
for admission tickets all over the building.  Students do not get the tabs.

Adults are required to be with their groups at all times.  No exceptions.
Students have to stay inside the building.  They cannot go outside unless
accompanied by an adult chaperone.

The following is the script that our Museum Services Staff generally
follow when orienting school groups.  When each group enters the building,
they are given the following verbal instructions from our staff (the exact
words depend on who does it, but you get the idea):

Good morning (Name of School or Group), and welcome to the Adler
Planetarium.  We are happy that you could be with us today and want you to
have a great time. In order to do that, we have a few rules for you to
follow.

-Please keep your voice down so visitors around you are not distracted.

-Your chaperones should always be with you as you tour each exhibit area.

-We ask that you not chew gum, eat or drink in any of the exhibit areas.

-Please do not run or behave in an unruly manner.

-As you interact with our exhibits, treat them with care.

-We pride ourselves on keeping our museum neat and clean, and ask that you
share in this responsibility.

-As you make your way through the museum, feel free to approach any staff
person wearing a black and white uniform for assistance.

According to our information, you are scheduled to see the “… ”Show at
(time).  Please arrive at the theater approximately 10 minutes before your
show begins to allow for seating.

Late seating or reseating once the lights are turned off in the theater is
not permitted. We suggest you visit the restroom before entering the
theater.

Once inside the show, please keep your voices down to a whisper, as the
shape of the room amplifies sound.

Distracting behaviors will cause us to stop the show. We have an
obligation to assure that all visitors are able to hear the narrator and
enjoy the performance.  We need your cooperation.

Thank you, enjoy your visit, and please come back to see us soon.

Michelle

Michelle Nichols, Master Educator for Informal Programs
Adler Planetarium & Astronomy Museum
1300 S. Lake Shore Dr.
Chicago, IL  60605
312-322-0520