ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Kenneth Brandt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Aug 2005 13:59:02 -0500

Martin,

As both a high school and college-level teacher, I found astrology an 'easy lesson'; both with a properly equipped planetarium, and without.  Getting an epoch 2000 starchart (one of the 11 x 17 " with all 24 hours of R. Ascension worked especially well) and having students plot their birthday on the ecliptic (great for graph interpretation standards), I could show them that 'their zodiac sign', in most cases, wasn't (example: if you're born on December 13, the sun is crossing Ophiucus-not even 'one of the twelve'!).
With a planetarium equipped with precession motion, you can show the sky as it was when the current zodiac 'signs' were much closer to 'accurate' than they are now.  Several good sites on the web exist for astronomy teachers vexed with 'astrology defense'.  Phil Plait, in his 'Bad Astronomy' book devotes an entire chapter to debunking astrology misconceptions, and Carl Sagan did a great job of nailing Astrology to the pavement with his treatment in 'Cosmos'.  Many activities also exist wherein students can test the 'astrology is bunk' hypothesis for themselves.
So yeah, we do deal with astrology as a way to get at the underlying science, and the fact that people then and now rely on mysticism to explain what they cannot, or will not, fathom.  When in doubt, use what they think they know to get them to learn what you want them to know.

Ken Brandt
Director of the Robeson Planetarium and Science Center
President, Carolina Association of Planetarium Educators
JPL/NASA Solar System Ambassador

"If you are resting on your laurels, you are probably wearing them upside down!"