ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Glenn A. Walsh" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Jul 2005 12:23:33 -0700

> Excellent rant! You sound a lot like I used to
> sound.

Thank you so much for the compliment!

> With regard to the Foucault Pendulum, any Foucault >
Pendulum, I believe
> there is a certain elegant simplicity in them. I
> also believe that
> their beauty is lost on most people. Most people
> and museums, don't take the
> time to appreciate the window into our world that
> they offer.

Yes, it does have elegant simplicity. But, the
scientific concepts are not so obvious; some sort of
explanation is needed with the Foucault Pendulum. In
this fast-paced world of ours, often people do not
take the time to understand these concepts.

When Buhl Planetarium first opened in 1939, the
Foucault Pendulum was one of their "talking exhibits."
A state-of-the-art [for 1939] recording system, using
pre-recorded records on turntables in a centralized
recording room, would give patrons an explanation of
the Pendulum at the touch of a button.

Well, after a while, this recording system was
phased-out [to this day, the last vestige of this
recording system can be seen with the speaker in the
Pendulum Pit]. Then, the Executive Director of Buhl
Planetarium insisted that a Floor Staff member always
be available in the main gallery, to explain the
Foucault Pendulum. He felt the personal touch was
always a better way to educate than just having a sign
explain an exhibit.

However, as time went on, and budgets became tight,
Buhl Planetarium gave-in to a sign on the Pendulum
railing. However it is done, it is important to
educate people as to why the Pendulum does what it
does.

> Keep true to the things you believe in. You'll
> sleep better at night, for  awhile.  Then, like
> most of us, your spirit will be crushed and your
> hard head will be beaten down to a soft, soupy pulp.

What a comforting thought! Well, I have been fighting
similar battles for many years, and my "hard head" and
spirit are still intact!

As your web site suggests that you are a vendor, I
must compliment you. It is quite brave for a vendor to
issue such a message on the List!

gaw