HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Patch, Shawn" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Dec 2005 12:03:56 -0500
Hello all,

I have a few questions regarding corduroy roads and thought folks on
this list might be able to offer some insight or suggestions. I was
recently made aware of an intact corduroy road buried (4-5') under an
existing section of highway that is currently under construction. It was
identified by materials engineers while conducting small tests and is
reported to be well preserved with layers of rough logs set with sand.
The intact segment is located in a marsh setting and is approximately .5
mile long, most of which appears to be in good condition. Because this
project is under construction we are treating it as a discovery and need
to move forward with an evaluation and treatment before it is removed by
the contractor (which is going to happen).

Here are my questions:

Do any of you have any experience with this type of resource from an
archaeological perspective? If so, what did you do? How did you evaluate
and document the resource? Beyond detailed drawings and photographs,
what else can/should we consider?

Any help or advice would be sincerely appreciated.

Thanks,

Shawn

Shawn Patch

Archaeologist