HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Carol Serr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Aug 2005 15:18:13 -0700
The last two replies on this genealogy forum pretty much answer the
question...of both 'stillard'...and the use in 'pairs'...so I would
venture to say (altho knowing Nothing about this subject/these
items)...that 'pair of shillards' is a misspelling (possibly
transcription of poor handwriting where the 't' looked like an 'h'?) of
stillard...the scales.  Perhaps like the word pants...it is
plural...since there are more than one part to them. ?  We use "pair of
pants"...so maybe it's the same sort of thing. ??

http://archiver.rootsweb.com/th/read/BRETHREN/1999-04/0923614605

Here's a similar estate inventory...with "1 pair stillard"...listed.
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~paday/dobbers/russel_barwick.ht
ml