HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Thu, 7 Jul 2005 11:19:31 -0400
Burial in backyards here in San Diego only occur during murders. However,
people who cremate their relatives often simply shake the box around a favorite
sand dune, forest, stream or off the coast.

In rural areas, the County Health Department has not been vigilant with
regards to family plots. I know of several that continue to be used and no one
officially intervenes. There are a number of private local cemeteries. The formal
ones are regulated, but the family ones are ignored. You can imagine it is a
touchy subject. I have even seen U.S. military grave markers at some of those
rural plots.

Ron May
Legacy 106, Inc.