HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Mon, 20 Jun 2005 11:50:22 -0400
But Meli, the nexus between Ebay and artifacts is the provenience and ethics.
In truth, a lot more information gets lost every time there is an estate
sale. I have seen mounds of photographs sold piecemeal, diaries split up all over
creation with zero thought to who authored them, and every receipt for auto
mechanic work to old checks sold on Ebay. But items dug up (and there are many),
we have to hold the line there in my book. While people may fake flaked
stone, there is a huge underground market of bottles, cap guns, marbles, and rusted
things from privies that end up on Ebay and we should be cautious in
approaching that stuff. Bob's point that bottles with labels probably were handed down
from one house to another, as opposed to dug up in a local privy.

Ron May
Legacy 106, Inc.