HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Regina George <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Jun 2005 19:34:34 -0700
Elizabeth,
We used metal detectors on quite a successful scale to narrow down the
location of subsurface features and artifact deposits at several 19th
century mining and homestead sites currently located in the fluctuation
zone of Lake Oroville in northern CA.

If you are interested, I can send you a copy of a recent Society of
California Archaeology presentation describing our methods.  In it, I
discuss several examples in which archaeologists found metal detection
survey methods to be more accurate in locating subsurface features than
with grid-based test units alone.  It's not an end all on the subject, but
it might get you started.

I also found the 1998 article in Historical Archaeology by Melissa Connor
and Douglas Scott, "Metal Detector Use in Archaeology: An Introduction",
to be a very helpful primer on how metal detectors work and how they can
be a useful tool to the archaeologist.

Regina George
Anthropological Studies Center
Sonoma State University