HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Carol A Nickolai <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Jun 2005 17:12:07 -0400
Robert L. Schuyler wrote:
> We seem to drifting away from the subject of HISTARCH, so to get it back on
> topic: Has anyone ever found a modern historic period
> (i.e. !400-present) cat burial? Also when did the first Pet Cemeteries
> appear in the US and elsewhere?

Yes! I found a cat burial on a farm site in Michigan. It was buried not
very deep in the landscaping along the back of the house (or, at any
rate, what was left of it). The 'body' was in a plastic bag, and was
relatively recent since it was still a little -- well -- greasy. I
refused to collect it as an 'artifact' and we gave it a nice reburial
without touching or moving it.

Carol

--
Carol A. Nickolai

Anthropology                            Anthropology and Geography
University of Pennsylvania              Community College of Philadelphia
email: [log in to unmask]           email: [log in to unmask]