From:
Richard Davies <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Apr 1999 09:48:29 +0100
Rachel Lee wrote:

>I have not heard Franz Wesler-Moest in concert and am aware of some
>derision of his work, what are the current opinions of his ability to
>be a major conductor?

Wesler-Most was conductor of the London Philharmonic for a couple of
years back in the early 90s.  Although he was very young and inexperienced
I found him a most impressive musician and remember in particular his
Schumann (a superb Symphony No2) and anything Viennese (from whatever
school).  The London critics hated him for being young, Austrian, his
unconventional background etc.  and more or less drove him out.  He is now
music director at the Zurich Opera where I'm told he is doing some great
work, and also drawing other top class conductors to the house.

Hope this helps,

Richard Davies
Wales