From:
Performance Today from National Public Radio <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Mar 1999 08:48:34 -0500
COMING UP ON NPR's PERFORMANCE TODAY  MARCH 15--MARCH 22, 1999

Monday, MARCH 15

Hour 1-- Salonen on Revueltas:  Martin talks with Esa-Pekka Salonen, the
music director of the Los Angeles Philharmonic, about his push to promote
overlooked composers and the most recent result of his efforts, a CD
featuring music by Mexican composer Silvestre Revueltas that the Los
Angeles Times called "monumental." (Sony Classical SK 60676)

Hour 2-- American Orchestras:  Pianist Andre Watts joins conductor Yoel
Levi and the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra to perform the Piano Concerto No.
1 by Johannes Brahms.

Tuesday, MARCH 16

Hour 1-- The making of "DC Citypiece":  Composer, pianist and PT
commentator Robert Kapilow joins Martin to introduce us to his latest
project:  He's been commissioned by the Kreeger Museum to write "DC
Citypiece:  Monuments of the Millennium." The work, which will be based
on Washington's national and local monuments, will be premiered by the
National Symphony Orchestra in the Spring of 2000.  We'll follow its
development over the next 18 months.

Hour 2-- Coming to Terms with Royalties:  In response to a listener's
question, PT commentator Miles Hoffman joins Martin to explain what happens
to the money that consumers spend on CDs, and how the need to make a profit
affects the choice of music that is recorded.

Wednesday, MARCH 17

Hour 1-- Milestones of the Millennium--Dance:  We continue our countdown
to the year 2001 with the eleventh installment of PT's "Milestones of the
Millennium" series.  Today Martin and Time magazine dance critic Terry
Teachout discuss the evolution of the partnership between dance and
classical music.

Hour 2-- Concerts around the Country: In this hour, we'll present a
sampling of performances from recent US concert performances.

Thursday, MARCH 18

Hour 1 -- Aaron Copland Remembered:  Martin Goldsmith talks with music
historian Howard Pollack about his new biography, "Aaron Copland:  The
Life and Work of an Uncommon Man." (Henry Holt)

Hour 2-- Basic Hindemith:  PT critic Ted Libbey joins Martin for a visit
to the PT Basic Record Library.  Today Ted recommends three outstanding
recordings of another work of this century:  Paul Hindemith's Symphony
"Mathis der Maler."

Friday, MARCH 19

Hour 1-- And the Winner Should Be...:  Film scholar Royal Brown talks about
the scores that are vying for the Oscar on Sunday evening, including the
soundtracks from "Elizabeth," "Life is Beautiful," and "Saving Private
Ryan."

Hour 2-- Music Casualties of the 1930s:  Host Martin Goldsmith shares his
thoughts about "The Harmonists," a new film about a popular six-man vocal
ensemble (three of whom were Jewish).  The group, known as the Comedian
Harmonists, was forced to disband by the Third Reich.  Martin will also
tell us about his new undertaking:  Beginning on Monday, March 22, he's
taking a leave of absence from "Performance Today" to work on "The
Inextinguishable Symphony," a book that will chronicle the involvement of
his parents in the Juedischer Kulturbund of Germany during the 1930s.
Martin will return to "Performance Today" in July.

Monday, MARCH 22

LISA SIMEONE IS HOST

Hour 1-- Strike Up the Band:  Lisa talks with Jim Sinclair, the conductor
of the U.S.  Marine Corps Band, and, from a concert last weekend at George
Mason University in Fairfax, Virginia, we'll hear the band perform music by
American composer Charles Ives.

Hour 2-- American Orchestras: In this hour, we'll feature an outstanding
concert performance by a US orchestra.

FOR MORE PROGRAM INFORMATION, COME AND BROWSE PERFORMANCE TODAY'S WEB PAGE:
          http://www.npr.org/programs/pt

***NOTE: SCHEDULE IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE.  FOR EXACT BROADCAST TIMES, CONTACT
YOUR LOCAL PUBLIC RADIO STATION OR CALL PERFORMANCE TODAY AT (202) 414-2370.