ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Thu, 22 Jun 2006 08:35:11 -0700
From:
Tony Aloi <[log in to unmask]>
7bit
Sender:

After years of working in the for-profit world, I was honored to accept
a position at a major museum.  The FIRST thing I observed was that
there was a constant sharing of knowledge.  It took some getting used
to.  I finally came to realize that, above all, that was the "business"
we were in.  Or, perhaps I should say, it was because of this "sharing"
that we were ABLE to do our jobs.  This willingness to share was one of
the things that really set us apart from the cut-throat world I had
been living in.  Although I totally understand Phil's concern about how
many requests for "knowledge" we all receive, I do think it is a major
reason that everyone who works in the non-profit world is able to do
the good work that they do.  One of the many benefits that comes from
this sharing is to give the folks at the smaller institutions, with
very limited staff budgets, the ability to use this collective
knowledge for the good of their communities.  We can't possibly
participate in every survey and study, but I am extremely grateful to
those who are willing to spend a portion of their day sharing
knowledge.

Tony Aloi