HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Thu, 16 Mar 2006 16:46:24 -0600
From:
Ann Early <[log in to unmask]>
The Arkansas News item about Abraham Block and Old Washington, Arkansas, in
an earlier e-mail today is charming because it's make believe.  Arkansas
News was a 'school newspaper' Sponsored by the Old State House Museum in
Little Rock, AR and written/edited by a team of historians and
archeologists.  Our mission was to make stories about real events in
Arkansas History lively and interesting for middle school students to
read.  We learned over the years that many parents read the articles too
after the children took the newspapers home.

Although the articles were clearly identified as fiction, they've taken on
an aura of authenticity. I found one story that I wrote several years ago
on a family genealogy website, cited as an authentic news item.  Beware the
unintended consequences of good deeds

Ann M. Early
Fayetteville, AR