HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Mon, 25 Oct 2004 23:33:20 -0400
From:
Dan,

Although I have not personally examined or exumed a cat or a chicken embedded
in the walls of an English house, I would not presume to dismiss another
county's interpretation of this as a cultural practice. Moreover, I would not use
my own culture and life experience as counter evidence. Perhaps we ought to
invite British, Welsh, Irish and Scottish archaeologists who might have personal
experience on this issue to comment or critique the alleged practice? In
other words, this is an open invitation for those across the pond to present their
opinions on this tempest in a teapot. Are we mad as hatters to believe
church-going servants of the cross and crown could have practiced a pagan ritual in
embedding cats in walls to stave off vermin?

Ron May
Legacy 106, Inc.