Date:
Thu, 14 Jul 2005 11:33:23 EDT
OK, I have a new one -- at least for me.  I have a mom who was (not  so)
blessed with oversupply with her first baby.  We worked through  it.  Now she has
twins.  She was told by the hospital lactation  consultants that in order to
make enough milk, she would need to pump after each  feeding, which she did
diligently until she called me, reminding me of her  history.  So she stopped
that several weeks ago.  Well, today she  called, and the babies are drowning!
They choke, sputter, get mad, pull  off, and vomit.  In the normal course of
events, I'd have her nurse only  one side each feeding, pumping the second side
only to comfort.  She likes  to nurse simultaneously -- but I wonder if for a
few days, she should nurse both  babies on just one side, and then the second
side for the next feed, alternating  which baby gets to go first.

I've suggested sudafed, compressing the areola slightly to compress the
ducts so that it decreases the overwhelming let down, for a couple of feeds pump
off the first couple of ounces (though don't do often as she can increase
supply  -- but at least it would make the babies more comfotable), and take a lot
of  peppermint altoids.

Any other suggestions, oh wise ones?

Jan

_http://motherofbridebyJan.blogspot.com_