From:
Rachel Myr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Jul 2005 18:18:58 +0200
One of the biggest wholesalers and owners of retail pharmacies in Norway has
signed a contract with the Norwegian representatives for the Italian company
Chicco so that only Chicco's infant 'care' products will be on display in
these pharmacies.  Up to now this chain has had a contract with Avent, and I
never thought I would miss Avent's obnoxious, code-breaking packaging, but
this is worse.  Chicco makes a nipple shield that from the photo on their
website seems to consist of thick latex, and the nipple part of the shield
is about as big around as my little finger, and approximately 2 cm long.  It
is not possible to draw any part of an adult breast into the nipple of the
shield, certainly not a lactating breast.  I have had reports from a couple
of mothers who attempted to purchase nipple shields that they are simply
useless, and the pharmacies would have to special order silicone shields,
which takes days to get there.
According to the website (www.chicco.com) they also are still marketing a
cylinder breast pump of the sort I haven't seen for sale for at least 15
years, and wet wipes for cleansing breasts and nipples with.  The website
only has text in Italian and my Italian is very rudimentary so I am not sure
whether they are intended for use before or after breastfeeding.
Do any of you have experience with Chicco shields, in which there was
actually an indication for their use versus the use of an ultra thin
silicone shield?  I plan to take this up with the appropriate authorities
here, because as far as I can tell there is no reason on earth for this
product to exist at all, but if I am mistaken, please, someone correct me!
Rachel Myr
Kristiansand, Norway