ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
John Stoke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Dec 2005 12:28:00 -0500

Dear Colleagues,

As you know, throughout the year we release new images from the Hubble Space Telescope. Every once in a while we come up with a really fantastic image that deserves special attention. In January we'll be releasing one of the largest images we've ever taken, one that shows a large portion of a famous deep sky object. (That's all you'll get out of me for the moment!)

We had wonderful success earlier this year by having museums and planetariums participate in the national unveiling of two beautiful images (as documented here: http://hubblesource.stsci.edu/trade/projects/entry/completed/15th_anniv/) in conjunction with Hubble's 15th anniversary.

Our feedback from that event was so positive that we're going to do it again with this new image.

Here's the plan and info on how you can participate:

1) We will be making 48x48 inch true photographic gallery quality prints. These could be permanently displayed in your exhibit hall. They'll be shipped rolled; you mount and/or frame.

2) Because we don't have the funding to cover the cost of procuring the prints (as we did for the 15th anniversary event), we would need for participants in the unveiling to cover the direct cost of the print, which is $105. This is a one-time, bulk-order quantity discount.

3) We will cover shipping and insurance in the USA. Would need a Fed-Ex account number for any participant not in the USA.

4) We will also provide some ancillary "stuff" such as captions, a science background telecon, perhaps a short DVD, press materials, etc., similar to what we did for the 15th anniversary as is possible given the constraints imposed by the very short timeline and our budget.

If you think you'd be interested in participating please reply directly to me (not to the astc list) by no later than Sunday, and preferably today! I'll be back in touch with details. Sorry for the rush.

Sincerely,

John Stoke

John M. Stoke
Manager, Informal Science Education