ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Lou Papai <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Jan 2005 12:50:14 -0500

Marcia,
	Science Central has been doing a Women In Science Day for 8 years
and this March will be our 9th year.
	Our program started as a focus with Girl Scout troops locally, but
now includes general public as well.  We have 3 main parts to it.
	One is I have anywhere from 6-8 volunteers/staff dress up in period
clothing and do first person interpretations of that women and their
specialty.  I pair them up, 2 to a table and each has an activity that they
do (one or both is a make it take it or MITI since we're having fun with
acronyms this week).  They act and talk as that person for their shift
(about 3 hours).  It's a blast and everyone's favorite part of the day.
Last year I had an African American staff member be Mea Jemison and another
Sally Ride.  I borrowed flight suits from a Challenger Center.
	A second part is I bring in special speakers from the surrounding
area.  Women who are doing the science in their respective fields.  They
take about 30 minutes and share real science with the visitors.  It's
usually hands-on Minds-on (HOMO - couldn't resist).
	The third and last part is that I make up Trading Cards for the
visitors to collect every year.   It has their picture, when they were
born/died and the year.  The back side has a mini bio on it.
	It's one of my favorite events to program every year.  Everyone has
such a ball doing it and it's a great way to educate young women about those
who came before them.

Lou

Lou Papai
Public Programs Manager