ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Michael Adams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Jul 2006 10:50:33 -0400

At the Museum of Science in Boston we are trying to build an outreach
demonstration for a weather program that would involve building up air
pressure in a large clear pipe.  We would like to have 2 large diameter
(6" or 8") pipes that are connected by a hose with valves that we could
use to open and close so that we could vary the pressure in each
cylinder and observe the corresponding change in temperature.  Ideally,
we would like to have the flexibility to build up a fairly large
pressure (about 120-150 psi) inside the cylinders.

The problem we have been having is that none of the clear plastic pipes
that we have been looking into are suitable for air pressure because of
the danger of the plastic exploding and sending sharp pieces
everywhere.  This seems to be true of both clear PVC and acrylic.  Does
anyone  know of any stronger clear plastics that we might be able to
use that we haven't considered?  We need to use a clear material
because we are also planning to use the tubes as a cloud formation
chamber; students will need to be able to see inside them.  The pipes
also need to be fairly large for visibility reasons.  This
demonstration will be for a large scale assembly program.

Please let us know if you have any suggestions for us.

Thanks,
Mike

Michael Adams
Traveling Programs