ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Todd Thuma <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Jul 2005 08:34:05 -0400

Jermie,

I have some experience designing, building, and implementing an information
kiosk system for a university hotel/conference center and you would be
surprised how easy it is to create a kiosk on your own.

The costs involved depend on the level of "professionalism," independence,
and integration that you need. The bare bones is a computer/monitor combo
like Gateway or Sony offers that places the LCD monitor together with the
computer components. Then add the keyboard and mouse. This can be placed on
a counter near the information desk or ticket desk and it can be monitored
by the desk attendants. The minimum amount is the cost of the computer and
the time an IT Professional would spend to set it up.

The software can be inexpensive as well. If you decide to use the internet
for your membership application you need only control the browser to prevent
unintended or purposeful surfing the web and can keep the browser on your
membership form. I know a good one and I will pass you the URL when I find
it. Using the web form will enable you to place the membership form on the
Internet for web visitors as well. If you already have that then you are 1/3
of the way there. If not, you only need a MySQL/PHP server, perhaps with
your center's web site on it already or stand-a-lone server, to interface
with your web form. If you prefer Microsoft and the annual expense, you can
elect to go with ASP to access Microsoft Database Server and your web form.

If you want to ramp this all up to a full stand-a-lone kiosk, you can
contact a kiosk supplier and work with them to create an attractive cabinet
and use touch screen or keyboard technologies. These will cost in excess of
$10,000 dollars though so be prepared.

If you have cabinet makers in house and a web programmer, you need only to
purchase the components yourself and assemble the whole project from the
ground up. You can buy touch screens that connect to your computer with USB
and either look like LCD monitors or are very OEM grade equipment that must
be mounted inside the cabinet. You could do the whole thing in house for
about $5,000 including the cost of the materials and hardware. Of course,
you should consider what you pay your people for their time, but they are
already getting paid.

I can provide additional information and consultation if you contact me
directly at my email address below.

Todd

Todd S. Thuma
Science Object Producer