ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Keith T Ostfeld <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Jun 2005 13:53:41 -0500

There is still quite a struggle between the classic "drill and kill"
mentality that is still prevalent in schools and a constructivist
approach to learning math.  In the "drill and kill," children are taught
a single method (not always with the logic behind the method) and then
given worksheets, problems, etc. to solve to practice said method.  In
the constructivist version, children are encouraged to solve problems
through a variety of methods, allowing them to explore a concept and
build their mathematical understanding.

The Children's Museum of Houston has quite an extensive mathematical
program based around the constructivist viewpoint.  We have incorporated
mathematics into our existing exhibits through programming, signage, and
incorporated directly into components.  We also have a "Math Cart"
dedicated to mathematical programming daily (we have over 120 math kits
that we cycle through for our visitors all of which we have published in
both English and Spanish), we provide professional development training
to teachers in the Greater Houston Area, and we provide mathematics
through a variety of outreach work we do.  We are a part of the Math
Momentum team (link given in a previous e-mail) and we have a temporary
mathematics exhibit that we are working on developing into a traveling
exhibition starting its tour Summer 2007.

If you have any questions about our work or would like suggestions for
your mathematics work, please contact me off-list and I can help direct
your inquiries.

Hope it helps!
Keith

Keith Ostfeld