ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Betts, Kim" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 May 2005 10:31:01 -0700

See my answers below.

Thanks.

Kim Betts
Discovery Science Center

-----Original Message-----
From: Informal Science Education Network
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Eric Levine
Sent: Thursday, May 26, 2005 8:29 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: advertising to and communicating with teachers

ISEN-ASTC-L is a service of the Association of Science-Technology
Centers Incorporated, a worldwide network of science museums and related
institutions.
*****

Dear Colleagues:

As we expand our offerings to teachers and schools in the next year, I
am interested in finding out some information about your advertising and
communications techniques.  Please kindly respond to me (not the whole
list), answering the following questions as best as you         can.  If
there is
a better person
at your institution to answer these questions, please forward this email
to them.  Thank you for your help!

1. How do you advertise your programs and resources to teachers and
schools?  Mostly we do it through the schools.  We deliver our items to
the schools and they distribute to their teachers and students.  We send
the item to each district for approval.  Every district is different --
some want the approval attached to the item, some want you to deliver
directly to each school, some will deliver for you, etc.  Some of the
districts in California are starting to have flyer websites where you
can post information for students and their families.  Some charge and
some offer it for free.  Those that have the websites tend to not allow
flyer distribution to the students as well.

We also have an in-house teacher mailing list that we have developed
through trade shows and events.  I have also started a teacher email
list as well.

2. What has been the most successful way in which you have communicated
with a large group of teachers?

Probably delivering items to the schools for the teachers.  Some
teachers do not have emails or allow you to email them and we cannot
afford to mail to all teachers.

3. How does your institution gain interest from teachers using various
media such as emailing, print materials, websites, newsletters, and
direct mailings?  We mostly use emailing and print materials.  Our
website does have information but it needs to be updated (in budget for
next year) and we are also looking to do a newsletter.  We do not do a
lot of direct mail as we cannot afford it.  We only mail to those
teachers on our mailing list.

4. Which of the above media has been the most successful given cost,
staff time, and available resources?

Probably emailing and delivering print materials to the schools.

In addition to answering these questions, please feel free to contact me
with any other questions or comments you may have.

If you get any unique information on what some other science
centers/museums do, I would love to hear about it.  Thanks.

Thanks again for your assistance!

Eric Levine
Head of School and Teacher Programs
Rochester Museum & Science Center