From:
Christine Labroche <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Apr 1999 15:32:53 +0200
Derek Lim wrote:

>There's a new period Beethoven 9th by Herreweghe and a French orchestra.

I'm perhaps posting a little late on this one, but this very 'new', B's 9th
is so exquisite and so refreshing that I think it deserves more attention,
even from anti-HIP list members.

The gigantic, booming 9th I have been hearing for ever and a day had
exhausted all passion I might have felt - did feel - many years ago for
this symphony.  Herreweghe has re-opened my ears.  It is as if one were
discovering Beethoven for the first time - a joy in itself.

>Tempi are very fast ...

Yes.  And a few are slower ... Herreweghe declares he has faithfully
followed the thirty-so tempi indicated by Beethoven, ('guaranteed' by
Barenreiter's 1997 edition),  being unsure of only one or two, and
reminding us that Beethoven knew Menzel!

As to the choice of period for the period intruments Herreweghe and the
Orchestre des Champs-Elysees use two different 'families', both of French
inspiration, and spanning c.  forty years: the first to play Beethoven,
Schubert, Mendelssohn, the second, Schumann, Brahms, Dvorak ...

In concert, I have already heard Herreweghe and the Ch.-Elysees on other
standard repertoire pieces - Beethoven, Brahms, Dvorak - with the result
that, refreshed, I long for more.

HMC 901687  Please trust me and listen ...

Christine Labroche